Insurance (MP) You’ve seen their car insurance commercials a million times over, but what do you actually know about the General car insurance company. Headquartered in Nashville, TN., the company started out in 1963, and quickly developed a steady reputation within the auto insurance industry. Since 2013, the company has been a subsidiary of American Family Insurance, a $7 billion dollar company.
The General car insurance company has been in the auto insurance business for roughly 50 years. It is an independent insurance broker with offices in all 50 states. They offer auto insurance products exclusively, which range from top-brand products, like Farmers, Prudential, and State Farm. Plus, the company is not the same as an traditional insurance company. They are not limited by the policy offerings of one company, instead, they offer quotes and advice from other companies. Let’s look at some options the General offers…
The General Car Insurance Options
⇒Bodily Injury Liability
⇒Property Damage Liability
⇒Medical Payments/No-Fault/Personal Injury Protection (name depends upon state)
⇒Roadside assistance for an extra $125 in premiums annually. It covers only policyholders with 24/7 Roadside assistance coverage on their policy.
⇒Rental reimbursement for one of the following extra costs: $20 per day for 23 days ($460 limit), $40 per day for 30 days ($1,200 limit), or $60 per day for 30 days ($1,800 limit).
⇒Personal/Upgraded item coverage for an additional cost. The maximum amount of coverage you can buy is $1,500 worth, and the amount you’ll be reimbursed for is the lowest of the following: the actual cash value, the declared value, or the real cost to repair.
One of the biggest benefits of using the General for policy holders is that they compare quotes between many companies and not only offering quotes from one. Some of the other benefits include:
- Big online presence which allows company to offer quotes and answer inquiries quickly.
- Personal information is not needed when requesting for quotes via company website.
- Online quotes are processed in minutes.
- Offers a 3-step online application process for clients involving request for quotation, buying of the policy, and printing of proof of insurance.
- Offers cheap rates if you have bad driving records
- Policies can easily be tailored to fit expectations of the vehicle owner.
- Affordable plans which offer total coverage to car owners.
- Accepts minimal down payments that can defray monthly insurance costs.
- Happy to cover people who have had accidents, road violations, or less than perfect insurance history.
- Offers very affordable plans even for people with less than excellent credit scores and imperfect driving records.
- Attained remarkable stability through years of experience in the industry.
The General car insurance is sold through franchise outlets nationwide. Once you have decided on a policy, customer service is then passed to the underwriting insurer, not to the General. The company represents some of the biggest and best known insurance companies in the country. Before buying a policy, make sure that you understand which underwriter you might be dealing with, and how to contact them in case of problems.
- Some customer service reps may be very unhelpful
- Inconsistent premium pricing
- Frequent billing and claims issues
- Cheap rates met with poor service
- Unexplained policy cancellations
- High rates for those with good records
Most say the company provided good experience. But there have been allegations that the General does not honor service agreements and vehicle damage estimates. Some policy holders accuse the company of padding hidden damages when generating estimates. Others say they’ve experienced frequent billing and claims issues. That’s because the General car insurance customers are provided with quotes from leading insurance underwriters. They are in-fact a brokerage, the main obligation of General insurance is to get their customers the lowest insurance quotes from outstanding insurance companies. Once you buy a policy it’s the underwriting insurance company that is responsible for handling your claims. Why, the General doesn’t make sure this is clear to their customers is beyond me.
Here’s how we rated this company and please tell us about your experience with them…